Saturday, August 13, 2005

Shopping bags

Biscuit packet covers, vegetable bags, juice and milk cartons, instruction packages - all of them go to trash once you open the supplies. My 20-gallons-trash-can gets filled up in just 2 days.

I wonder how much stuff (plastic bags, bottles, thermocole, paper, etc...) we waste owing to the extra careful packaging that we are used to.

I still prefer Indian style of getting vegetables: take your own bag to the vegetable shop, fill it with all the groceries that you need for a day or two. I saw this in Budapest, Hungary (when I visited last fall). I saw people carrying big jute bags for shopping.

3 comments:

Arvind Srinivasan said...

Interesting thought that - however, it would be a marketing team's worst nightmare to ask people to bring bags to enter the shop ;)

may be, then can charge per-bag basis :-)

hey interesting idea - am running to the patent office :P

TJ said...

Very true!
In the west, i always hear a lot abt 'Recycling' and related gyan.
But 'Reusing' has to precede 'Recycling', which is not heard of here.
'Use and Throw' culture with 'Recycling' is of no help, when compared to 'Reuse' culture.

Miya said...

West is used to the 'don't make me work in anyway more than I need to' syndrome. So the actual task of 'carrying' a bag with you when you go out, is a chore. :-)

But you are right..I love to see a shopping bag filled with fresh vegetables when compared to plastic bags!

Side note: Plastic bags also contribute the veggies spoiling a lot faster because of the heat that gets trapped in...